Friday, September 5, 2008

Seven Months Later

Before I wax poetic about Senator McCain's nomination acceptance speech I wanted to revisit what I said about Senator McCain seven months ago:


From: Eric W.
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 2:48 PM
Subject: Caucusing for Conservatives

My fellow conservatives,

I watched Governor Mitt Romney withdraw from his campaign and watched Senator John McCain give what I thought was a very strong speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference. As I see Senator Rodham-Clinton stump at the Tacoma Dome, and Senator Barack Obama speak at the Key Arena, I am still pondering exactly what I'm going to do when I go to my Republican Party Precinct Caucus tomorrow.

The four choices that still remain for caucusing for Republican presidential candidates are: Congressman Ron Paul, Governor Mike Huckabee, Senator John McCain, and Uncommitted.

Congressman Paul says a lot of things I agree with, but anything positive he has to say gets lost in the “Fortress America” message he champions. His position that we should withdraw *ALL* U.S. forces from everywhere around the world just makes me question how in touch with reality he is. He may generally be the lone libertarian voice in Congress, but I won't even bother discussing why it would be a total waste of my time and effort to stand for Ron Paul's candidacy for President. I don't even think most of Ron Paul's supporters will vote for whoever the eventual Republican Nominee for President come November (as the anti-war candidate in the General Election will be the Democrat).

Governor Mike Huckabee intrigues me a little. I love how he's not afraid to invoke his faith as he stumps for political office; however, I believe his record and espoused policies make him a very weak candidate on a national level. The Fair Tax isn't going to happen anytime soon, his record on taxes is not as simple and attractive as he'd have you believe, and his "Bunker Mentality" comment about President Bush's foreign policy shows his lack of any deep understanding of this country's position as the last Superpower in the world. Frankly I don't even think he'd even be that helpful in drawing many Southern voters come November if he were to become the Vice Presidential nominee.

Then there is Senator John McCain. I, as a Reagan Conservative (who some of my friends say is "just right of Attila the Hun") certainly have been no fan of Senator McCain in the last several years. Since he first ran against then-Governor George W. Bush in 1999 (for the 2000 election for President) he seems to have revelled in his reputation as a Maverick in national Republican politics. The major media fawned all over him as the anti-W Republican. He appears to prefer to associate with prominent Democrats rather than his own party's leadership in the Senate. Bills such as McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy, and McCain-Lieberman are often mentioned with fondness by folks whose world view is diametrically opposed to my own. He speaks of drinking the coolaid of Global Warming, amnesty (by any name) for illegal aliens, banning any drilling in Alaska’s ANWR, and closing Guantanamo Bay as positives.

With all that said it is all but assured that Senator McCain WILL be the Republican Nominee for President once the Republican National Convention rolls around in early September. From the opposition’s perspective the Senator has an _unimpeachable_ record on national security. He has a *perfect* Pro Life voting record. Let me repeat: he has a PERFECT voting record on matters of Human Life. He has a well-earned reputation of cutting pork-barrel spending. He will not appoint judges like Ruth Bader Ginsburg. He will NOT surrender on ANY front in the war on Islamic Terror. He is NOT “Democrat Lite”, yet obviously not my ideal candidate; however, my favorite candidate who was in the race (former Senator Fred Thompson) will likely endorse Senator McCain before we reach the Republican National Convention.

So what is a Reagan Conservative to do at their Republican Precinct Caucus? This uberfan of President Ronald Wilson Reagan is bouncing back and forth between pinching my nostrils and standing for Mac, or to continue to hold out a little longer (knowing full well who I’m voting for in November) and caucusing as an Uncommitted Republican. If a good number of delegates reach the Washington State Republican Convention, and perhaps even the Republican National Convention, as uncommitted to any one candidate, I believe Senator McCain’s campaign will have to continue to at least think about courting those uncommitted conservatives who otherwise may be taken for granted, and perhaps even ignored in the Senator’s dash to the center in his national campaign against whatever Democrat wins their nomination.

As I write this I am more and more convinced that Senator McCain should have to whew we conservatives into not just voting for him in November, but in actively supporting his campaign. Winning takes boots on the ground, volunteers manning phone banks and distributing bumper stickers and pamphlets. I don’t know many conservatives who are excited enough about Senator McCain to do more than admit (a bit begrudgingly) that they will vote for whoever the Republican nominee is on their November ballots. Maybe we the Uncommitted Republicans at our caucuses and conventions can force Senator McCain’s hand to not take the Reaganite base for granted just yet.

Conservatively,
Eric W.
Christian - American - Veteran - Conservative - (mostly) Republican


With hindsight providing perfect 20/20 vision I have to say I was wrong about Senator McCain. He never ran away from the party's conservative base. At all. Even with his pick for a running mate he has courted several groups beyond his base without alienating those of us he needed to get to the General Election.

I fully admit I underestimated John S. McCain. (I'm very happy to see how wrong I was on this). I don't think I will do that again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you sending that e-mail out seven months ago, and I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad! You had it right with McCain being the eventual nominee and trust, NO ONE saw Palin as his running mate. I hear silence from the Obama crowd...or crickets!

September 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Eric W. said...

Well I actually knew she was certainly a possibility, but I figured with only 1/2 her 1st term finished she'd really be her own candidate in 4 or 8 years. Bobby Jindal was another of those on the brink of national prominence. I think he might have been McCain's keynote speaker on the last night of the RNC if Hurricane Gustav hadn't run in. I actually was quite willing to settle on Tim Palenty as the VP considering the major name alternatives of Lieberman, Ridge, and Romney....
Eric W.

September 6, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home